The Municipal Library of Tyrnavos holds an important collection of manuscript and printed books, gradually compiled since the 17th century. Its main core comprises the library of the School of Tyrnavos, one of the oldest educational institutions of the Greeks of the Ottoman Empire, where renowned scholars studied and taught. The present volume, which succeeds the Library’s catalog of manuscripts published in 2007 by the National Hellenic Research Foundation, includes a detailed description of its 493 old printed books dated from 1495 to 1900. They cover almost all fields of knowledge, given that the collection was enriched throughout time by, not only the educational books used by the School and the town’s consequent educational institutions (The Mutual Teaching School, the Greek Public School, and the 20th-century Semi-Gymnasion), but also by books from various other libraries of Tyrnavos, mostly private, covering legal, medicinal, theological, wider scholarly, and various other topics.
The collection of this material is part of the greater effort of a systematic indexing of the historical libraries of Greece and the diaspora Greeks in Europe and the Near East, and the historical assessment of their existence until the 20th century. Furthermore, the multitude of hand-written notes found in most of the collection’s volumes are transcribed and commented, in the effort to shed light on unknown aspects of the history of Tyrnavos and Thessaly in general.